Lamentably, the PlayStation 5, an incredible gaming console in its own right, falls short when it comes to native Discord compatibility. Don’t be too disheartened though! You can still utilize the robust capabilities of your playstation 5 to chat with your friends through Discord. The tricky bit is, it’s not as straightforward to set up as we would like it to be. This article will navigate you through the maze of using “Discord PS5”.
Seamless Integration of Discord with Your PS5
Many gamers prefer to have all their interactions streamlined on one platform, hence the desire to integrate Discord with PS5. Here, we detail how to exploit the features of the PS5 to suit your needs. Interestingly, the PS5 doesn’t possess native internet browsing capabilities, quite a shocking omission given that its predecessor, the PS4, had this feature. Nonetheless, there is a workaround for PS5 users, thanks to the PlayStation Network and PlayStation Party Chat features. You can exchange messages, including web links, with fellow gamers, giving you access to websites.
Creating Your Discord Hub on PS5
You can start by sending a simple message to a friend on the PlayStation Party. Follow these steps:
- Open PlayStation Party and select a friend to message.
- Forward www.discord.com as a text message.
- Click on the link to open it.
- Sign into your Discord account.
- Start chatting with your friends in a voice channel.
Note: Text channels are also available, but for immersive gaming experiences, voice chat with a compatible headset is recommended.
Connecting Discord PS5 and PC:
For gamers who are particularly concerned about audio quality, connecting your PS5 and PC could be the ideal option. For this setup, you will need a USB headset, an optical cable, a MixAmp, and a PC. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Firstly, connect your PS5 to the MixAmp using an optical cable and access the PS5 settings.
- Then, select “Sound” and then “Audio Output”.
- From the list, pick either the Digital or Optical out option.
- Open your Discord client on your PC or access it via a browser tab.
- Navigate to Discord’s settings and click on “Voice & video”.
- Select “MixAmp” from the Input Device dropdown.
- Set the Output Device to “Default” in the Voice & video settings.
- Lastly, connect your headset to the MixAmp, making sure all connections are secure.
Pairing Your PlayStation Network Account with Discord
Sony’s collaboration with Discord, fostered by the former’s investment in Discord’s Series H round, is quite significant. Since January 2022, you can pair your PlayStation Network account with Discord using the following steps:
Time needed: 2 minutes
- Opening Discord and Navigating to User Settings
Begin by opening the Discord application. Once it is open, locate and click on the “User Settings” to proceed.
- Accessing Connections
Next, you need to access the “Connections” section. You can find this by clicking on the option labeled “Connections” within the user settings.
- Selecting the PlayStation Icon
In the connections tab, you will see various icons. Identify and click on the icon that represents PlayStation.
- Signing in with PlayStation Credentials
The final step requires you to sign in using your PlayStation credentials. Input your details carefully and then click on “Sign in” to complete the process.
Discord’s optimization for Sony’s consoles is eagerly anticipated by the gaming community. The current web version is primarily designed for PC users with mouse and keyboard interfaces. The integration of a user-friendly Discord app on PS5 is a promising prospect.
PlayStation Party Chat Vs Discord PS5:
PlayStation Party Chat is a decent service for PS5 users, but Discord undeniably outperforms it in several ways:
- Accessibility – Discord’s cross-platform feature makes it more versatile than PlayStation Party Chat.
- Enhanced Features – Discord offers a plethora of features, including media embedding, which PlayStation Party Chat lacks.
- Userbase – Discord has a more extensive userbase due to its free-to-use model and wider platform availability.
- Cross-Platform Communication – Discord facilitates communication between PS5 and PC users, making it far more universal compared to PlayStation Party Chat, which is not cross-platform.
Anticipating Discord on PS5
While the temporary solutions described are practical, gamers eagerly await the official integration of Discord on PS5. The convenience of using Discord on PS5 without needing an additional device is a prospect that excites many. We’re all curious – when will Discord become an innate feature of PS5? Or should PS5 come with an internet browser as standard? We welcome your opinions in the comment section below. When it comes to showcasing your gaming activities, ensure that the “Display on Profile” and “Display PlayStation Network as your status” options are checked in the Discord Connections settings window.
More from us
In conclusion, while native Discord support may not yet be a feature of PS5, it certainly doesn’t spell the end of using Discord on your PS5. By following the above mentioned steps and workarounds, you can enjoy the robustness of Discord’s communication capabilities on your PS5. As we look forward to an official Discord app on PS5, these steps will help you bridge the gap, ensuring that your gaming and social interactions remain uninterrupted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use Discord on PS5 by following the outlined steps in the article.
No, unlike its predecessor PS4, the PS5 does not have a native internet browser.
For better audio quality, you can link your PC and PS5 using a USB headset, an optical cable, a MixAmp, and a PC.
Yes, as of January 2022, you can connect your PlayStation Network Account with Discord.
While both serve their purposes, Discord offers more accessibility, features, a larger user base, and is cross-platform, making it more versatile than PlayStation Party Chat.