There’s a sense of exhilaration that comes from diving into the magical realm of Hogwarts, especially in a game as expansive and visually stunning as “Hogwarts Legacy.” Set in the evocative world we first fell in love with in the Harry Potter series, this game offers players a thrilling journey across new and familiar terrains, letting them harness spells, meet magical creatures, and shape the very fate of the wizarding realm. Yet, for many, this spellbinding experience has been marred by unexpected game crashes, pulling them out of the magic and into the stark reality of tech troubleshooting. One will wonder whether this was the end to all of the fun and the beginning of a search pursuit on the methods to fix Hogwarts Legacy crashing errors you were facing.
While it’s frustrating to face such hiccups in a game you’re eager to immerse in, especially one set in a world as beloved as Hogwarts, it’s essential to remember that all new games have teething issues. The silver lining? Most of these problems have solutions. This guide will navigate you through how to fix Hogwarts Legacy crashing issues reported by players and provide you with actionable solutions to get you back on your broomstick in no time.
Hogwarts Legacy: A Brief Overview
Set in the 1800s, Hogwarts Legacy invites players to experience a magical world like never before. Published by WB Games, this open-world action RPG game takes you on a spellbinding journey. Whether you’re befriending magical creatures, mastering the art of potion-making, or standing up against Dark wizards, every choice you make shapes your legacy. But let’s admit, crashing issues can spoil the magic. Here’s how you can fix them!
Fix Hogwarts Legacy Crashing Issue On PC
1. Check Hogwarts Legacy Game Requirements
Before you jump into action, ensure that your computer is up to the task. If it doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements, you might be in for a bumpy ride. Here are the basic and recommended specs:
Minimum System Requirements
- Requires a 64-bit processor and OS: 64-bit Windows 10.
- Processor: Intel Core i5-6600 or AMD Ryzen 5 1400.
- Memory: 16 GB RAM.
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB or AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB.
- Storage: 85 GB available.
Recommended System Requirements
- Recommended System Requirements for Optimal Performance
- Operating System: Ensure you’re running a 64-bit version of Windows 10 to fully support the game’s advanced features and functions.
- Processor (CPU): Intel users should have at least an Intel Core i7-8700 operating at 3.2 GHz, while AMD aficionados should aim for an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 clocking in at 3.6 GHz.
- Memory (RAM): A solid 16 GB of RAM will ensure smooth gameplay and swift in-game transitions.
- Graphics Card (GPU): Depending on your brand preference, the game recommends an NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, or, for those looking to harness Intel’s gaming potential, the INTEL Arc A770.
- DirectX: The game is optimized for DirectX Version 12, ensuring the best visual experience and performance.
- Storage: An ample 85 GB of space is necessary to house the game. Given its size and to reduce loading times, an SSD is preferred.
- Additional Notes: For the best visual experience, aim for a resolution of 1080p with a refresh rate of 60 fps. The game looks most vibrant and detailed with the High-Quality Settings enabled.
2. Update Graphics Drivers
A simple yet effective fix. Ensure your graphics card driver is updated to the latest version. This often resolves many gaming glitches. Follow the quick guide below:
- Open Device Manager.
- Click on Display Adapters.
- Right-click your graphics card.
- Select Update Driver.
3. Disable Overclocking
Overclocking can boost game performance, but it can also be the culprit behind crashes. If you’ve overclocked your system, consider returning it to its original settings.
4. Disable Overlay
Overlays can sometimes interfere with game performance. Disabling in-game overlays, especially from third-party apps, can help.
- Open Steam client.
- Click on Steam > Settings.
- Click In-Game.
- Uncheck ‘Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game‘.
Process for Xbox Game Bar:
- Open Settings.
- Click Gaming.
- Turn off the switch for the Xbox Game Bar.
Now for NVIDIA GeForce Experience:
- Launch NVIDIA GeForce Experience.
- Click on the gear icon or ‘Settings‘.
- Toggle off ‘In-game overlay‘.
Disabling Discord In-game Overlay:
- Launch Discord.
- Click the gear icon at the bottom to access settings.
- Navigate to ‘Game Overlay’ within User Settings.
- Toggle off ‘Enable in-game overlay‘.
5. Temporarily Disable Antivirus
Sometimes, the good guys can mistakenly hinder game performance. Temporarily disable your antivirus software. If this resolves the crash, whitelist the game in your antivirus settings.
6. Verify Game Files of Hogwarts Legacy
Corrupted game files can crash the party. Use the Steam client to verify the game’s integrity. This replaces corrupted or missing files. Follow the steps below accordingly:
- Launch Steam:
Begin by opening your Steam client on your computer.
- Access Game Library:
On the main interface, select the “Library” option.
- Locate Game:
Scroll through your game list and find “Hogwarts Legacy“.
- Open Game Properties:
Right-click on “Hogwarts Legacy” and choose the “Properties” option from the dropdown menu.
- Navigate to File Verification:
Within the properties window, tap on the “Local Files” tab located at the top.
- Begin Verification:
Lastly, click on the button labeled “Verify integrity of game files“. The Steam client will now check and repair any missing or corrupted game files for “Hogwarts Legacy“.
Explore our other articles:
- Level Up Your Game: Solutions to the 2023 League of Legends RECONNECT Error
- How To Fix COD Warzone Crashing On Xbox Series X
- The Gamer’s Guide: Uninstall Valorant and Riot Vanguard the Right Way
It’s undoubtedly disheartening when a game of “Hogwarts Legacy’s” caliber, filled with enchantment and intrigue, gets hampered by technical issues. Crashes can be a stark reminder that even the most magical realms have their basis in the often imperfect world of technology. Yet, players should take solace in the fact that many before them have faced similar challenges and, with a bit of patience and the right guidance, have successfully overcome them.
With the insights and solutions presented in this guide, you are equipped to tackle the most common game crashes. Remember, every great wizard has faced its fair share of obstacles, be it in the form of a dark lord or a pesky software glitch. Armed with the knowledge you now possess, it’s time to dive back into the wizarding world and let the magic unfold without interruption.
Frequently Asked Questions
To fix “Hogwarts Legacy” crashing on PS4:
1. Ensure your game and PS4 system software are updated.
2. Restart your PS4.
3. Clear the PS4 cache by fully powering it off and unplugging it for 2 minutes.
4. Reinstall “Hogwarts Legacy” if the issue persists.
If still unresolved, contact PlayStation support or check for known issues on the game’s official website.
To address the crashing:
1. Ensure the game and Xbox firmware are up-to-date.
2. Perform a hard reset by holding the power button for 10 seconds.
3. Reinstall “Hogwarts Legacy“.
If issues persist, check the game’s official site or Xbox support.
Ensure your game and PS5 firmware are updated. Restart your PS5. If issues persist, reinstall “Hogwarts Legacy“. For ongoing problems, consult the game’s official site or PlayStation support.